If so, we want to hear from you (aesthetic typewriter not required).
Peril is a quarterly digital journal dedicated to Asian-Australian writing, arts and culture. We publish fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays, experimental writing, and visual art. Peril is an all-volunteer organisation of Asian-Australian writers, editors, arts workers and thinkers. As a publication, we pride ourselves on giving space to diverse stories and experiences.
This is a remote position, so applicants can be based anywhere in Australia. It is a one day per week role.
Please note that depending on grant funding, we are able to pay small honorariums to our editors on a per-edition basis.
Your role will involve:
- Reading and editing prose submissions from our open calls.
- Commissioning work from writers you love.
- Working with our Editor-in-Chief to curate our themed editions.
- Editing reviews and other between-edition content.
- Be dedicated to Asian-Australian and otherwise diverse writing, arts and culture (meaning, be familiar with Peril’s mission – and lived experience counts!).
- Have a sound understanding of or willingness to learn about the author-editor relationship.
- Have excellent writing and editing skills. Digital literacy is a bonus! Join us in wading the murky waters that is the WordPress backend.
- Be patient and relationship-focussed when working with people from diverse cultures, genders, sexualities, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Have great organisation skills. That half-used bullet journal in your desk drawer counts.
To apply, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- A one-page CV with information relevant to the position.
- A short cover letter of max. two pages telling us why you’re Peril’s next Prose Editor (address the selection criteria for bonus points).
- Links to up to two writing or editing samples.
While no previous experience is strictly required, we are looking for someone with a keen dedication to writers and writing. We are big believers in learning on the job (so while practical experience or a degree in writing and editing is great, it’s not necessary).
Applications via email close at midnight on Monday 18 December. For further information please email Mindy Gill at email@example.com.