Thank you for your interest in submitting to Peril. We are currently closed for submissions but we will be opening soon.
In 2019, we will feature the following three themed editions. More details and dates to come, but here’s a teaser to start you thinking!
Edition 35: Man up will ask questions about masculinity, particularly how and to what end racialised identities are gendered and sexualised? If Hollywood is changing views of Asian men, how is that change expressed, and how do these new/”re-viewed” men play their role in the rapidly evolving dynamics of gender in our cultures?
Edition 36: History Repeats considers, as many have considered before us (okay, namely, Shakespeare), the past as prologue. We want you to look back at Australia’s history and explore our Asian migrants, workers, travellers, visitors and intruders and tell us what might have been? Make history your map or your fortune cookie, we can’t wait to see what you do when you move the narrative gaze and animate the archive.
Edition 37: Testing Times, here we’re asking what it means exactly to be ‘Australian’ – what it takes to pass, what it takes to fail. We will be bringing this edition to you right around the time of Australian Citizenship Day, so whether or not you think you’d ace it or burn it, we want to know what you think about the ways in which we become or do not become Australian.
If this is your first time contributing, or you have an idea that is a little out of the box, then you’re welcome to email your pitch to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please consider our contribution guidelines:
- We accept contributions of art works, prose, poetry, non-fiction, essays, blog posts with a word limit of 1000 words (where applicable), a relationship to issues of Asian Australian interest, and a connection to the issue theme.
- We consider previously unpublished, original work, however, simultaneous submissions are acceptable. We ask only that you notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- We welcome submissions in creative and new media interpretations of “literature”, including video, audio and text format, graphic stories, sound or visual art, as long as it can be presented online and has a relationship to story.
- You don’t have to be Asian-Australian to contribute, but your contribution should be of Asian-Australian interest. Check out our back editions to see what we publish.
- Our editions are themed and you are welcome to include a short (100 -200 word) artist statement, which may outline the work’s relationship to that theme.
Please note we are currently only able to pay Australian contributors for themed editions due to our current funding arrangements. International contributors are welcome to email us to discuss. We look to pay our contributors equally, depending on the number of successful submissions. Our average payment rates are between $50-100.
To stay in touch around contribution dates, please connect with us on Facebook or Twitter so that we can let you know of any upcoming writing opportunities. We also welcome suggestions for edition themes or articles because we think you’ve got great ideas.